The APEX project aims at developing a framework for the rapid prototyping of ubiquitous environments. The current version is already able to animate 3D virtual worlds (via OpenSimulator), using CPN Tools to drive the simulation.
In order to use the system to set up a prototype you need to:
- install and setup OpenSimulator (link)
- install and setup the CPN Tools (link)
- install the APEX DLL (se below - note: compatible with OpenSimulator 0.6.1)
- develop the appropriate models (a paper describing this is forthcoming)
In order to use the system to navigate a prototype you need to:
- install a viewer (e.g., Hippo Viewer or Second Life viewer)
- point the viewer at the server where the server is running
- connect to the server using a provided user account
- navigate and interact with the world
Models for the Library example can be found at the HCIspecs website.